Narratives and Trauma Healing
August 13 @ 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Dr. Meagan Corrado will present “Narratives and Trauma Healing” which speaks to the power of narratives in work with trauma survivors.
This talk will focus on the following key ideas:
- (1) words have power,
- (2) narratives have the capacity to break through walls of avoidance and fear,
- (3) narratives help us transition from a place of fragmentation and chaos to a place of order and organization,
- (4) narratives give us space to grapple with the good and the bad, the beautiful and the ugly,
- (5) narratives provide us with the opportunity to engage in creative play,
- (6) narratives provide a container for our experiences,
- (7) narratives speak to the universality of human experience, and
- (8) narratives provide opportunities for growth, change, and empowerment.
The final half of the presentation includes several important reminders for helpers as they assist trauma survivors in telling their narratives.