In accordance to the OMHSAS definition of CPS, DBHIDS requires applicants to meet the follow criteria:
- A self-identified current or former user of mental health or co-occurring services who can relate to others who are now using those services
- High school diploma or GED
- Demonstrated proficiency in reading and writing
- Within the last three years has 12 months (not necessarily consecutive) full or part-time paid or volunteer work experience; one year of college or other educational experience (within the last three years) can be substituted for the work experience
- Ability to establish trusting relationships with their peers
- Commitment to recovery, choice, and empowerment
- Completion of Storytelling training.
If you are interested in being trained to be a Certified Peer Specialist:
PLEASE NOTE: There are a limited number of slots available for the class. This is a competitive process with no guarantee of employment after the training. Only 20 applicants will be selected. Applications that are received incomplete will not be processed.
Please be mindful that this is a no-cost professional training for residents of Philadelphia only. A completed application does not guarantee interview selection. An interview selection does not guarantee training selection.